African studies is pleased to work with all members of the African Diaspora, including recent African immigrants, second generation Africans, and members of older, historical diasporic African communities.
Our collaboration with key constituent groups has been one important mechanism for working with the African community in the U.S. We have supported conferences, events, educational workshops and training, dance and music programs, and discussion groups. Some of the groups we have worked with are:
- African Students Organization at the U of Illinois
- Africa Cultural Association at the U of Illinois
- Amira Davis and Company
- Don Moyer Boy & Girls Club of Champaign-Urbana
- Douglass Branch Library, Champaign
- East Central Illinois Refugee Mutual Assistance Center
- NAACP of Champaign County
- Omnimov at the U of Illinois
- Peer Ambassadors of the Champaign Mental Health Center
- Urban League of Champaign County
- Urbana Free Library
- Various Black Churches in the Champaign-Urbana area
African studies is also pleased to get involved in programming offered by these organizations and attend programs offered locally or elsewhere in the region.